Thursday, August 11, 2011

Shopping, Shopping, Shopping

      I’m not much of a shopper, but I can appreciate getting a good deal.  School supply companies all over my county have found ways to get me to spend six dollars in gas to go buy two cent folders and quarter packs of paper.  At the cheep promotion prices we find ourselves buying school supplies whether we need them or not. 
     It’s time to update my wardrobe.  Out with the old and in with the new.  In spite of my limited budget I feel that students respect a well dressed teacher better than the worn out clothes I would probably continue to use.  Thankfully, my wife is adept at navigating the local sales to accomplish the task without draining our bank account.  I also have two teenage daughters who have followed in their mother’s example and saved us hundreds of dollars using coupons they find on the internet.  I am amazed at what a good shopper can accomplish.
    Since we don’t have a local teacher store I’ll have to visit the teacher section in our dollar stores and look through some catalogs to garner the odds and ends that I use each year.  If I can’t find anything, I’ll have to go “old school” and create the items I need on my own.  The document projectors of today work much better than overheads did eight years ago. 
   With all of this shopping I’ll need to head to work on Monday to start putting some money into my bank account for a change.  I look at all we have and realize how blessed we are.  I work 190+ days a year and through hard work were able to have a good life even on a teacher’s salary.  I don’t have everything I could want, but I have a sense of pride that we have everything we need.  So, good luck with your last minute shopping.  I hope you get everything you need as well.    

(In the comments below please tell me what your best purchase was in preparation for school this year.  If you have tips or coupons you can share those here too.)   

No comments:

Post a Comment